A few months ago I inspected a large commercial property which had been vacant for several years. The building smelled of mildew and old water stains were visible, but there was no obvious sign of mold. I was coughing before I left the property, and was experiencing upper respiratory symptoms within an hour of leaving the property. I had no visual evidence of mold, but recommended a mold inspection based upon the odor and my symptoms afterward. The inspection did reveal mold in the building. In this particular photo, the bottom level of an apartment building had flooded. The minute we opened the door and saw the stains, I took one photo and backed out of the building. Some are more sensitive to mold than others, but this is a hazard that can have serious health consequences.
This photo shows a tenant-installed gate on an exterior breezeway, with exposed nails. Not only do the exposed nails need to be eliminated, but the gate itself should be removed to prevent entrapment in the breezeway in event of an emergency evacuation.